Saturday, December 10, 2011
Jim Mora Jr. to UCLA, Kevin Sumlin to Aggies, Fanbases Shrug
Rich Rodriguez to Arizona, Larry Fedora to North Carolina and Mike Leach to Washington State have made fanbases feel like their athletic directors are some talented sheep wranglers in college football. UCLA hiring Jim Mora Jr. out of desperation and Texas A&M hiring Kevin Sumlin out of first instincts have each fanbases in doubt.
Don't talk about Rose Bowls! Rose Bowl! Jim Mora Jr. is most notorious for getting the honor of trying to turn Michael Vick into a pocket passer first, after Dan Reeves had let Mike Vick be Mike Vick for the Atlanta Falcons. Mike Vick never became a pocket passer until 2010. Last time Jim Mora Jr. coached Mike Vick was in 2006. Then he had one year (which means success, always) as head coach of the Seattle Seahawks. UCLA Bruins fans unleash a 'can he even recruit' sigh.
Kevin Sumlin was a star offensive assistant coach at Oklahoma and Texas A&M before he got a huge break at Houston. After making the Houston Cougars one game away from BCS glory, every program saw Sumlin as their next coach. Until the Cougars were on national television Thanksgiving week and got embarrassed by Larry Fedora and Southern Miss in the C-USA championship. Which prompted Texas A&M to give Georgia's Mark Richt first shot at accepting the coaching job.
In other words, both of these selections as head coaches are no sure-fire success hires. Welcome to the two most difficult conferences, SEC and Pac-12, in college football.
Follow Me: @TravisHouser
Other Stories: Fuck the BCS, The Final 16-Team Playoff
- Recruit asks Lebron to Decide his College Choice
- Tiger Woods Wins, Gets Mashed Potato'd
- Houston Cougars peebowed before Nick Novak
- UNLV/Tupac Fan thrown out during upset win for Bro Hug
- Mystery Team: Pick who should play LSU
- Paterno goes out like Richard Nixon
- Ron Washington calls Cardinals "Cocksuckers, Motherfuckers"
- Iron Bowl Gameday Signs
- Houston Gameday Signs
- Stanford Gameday Signs
- Alabama Gameday Signs
- USC Gameday Signs
- Michigan St. Gameday Signs
- College Gameday Signs (Ore - ASU)
- College Gameday Signs (Tex - Okla)
- College Gameday Signs (Neb - Wisc)
- College Gameday Signs (WV - LSU)
- College Gameday Signs (FSU - OU)
- Bill Walton is tortured to never punch Wallace
Sorry Bro Sports (www.SorryBroSports.com) is where you can get all breaking news or rumors around all type of sports. With a nice blend of humorous videos, gifs or images from sports. SorryBroSports has 0 off days. For quicker breaking news, you must follow me @TravisHouser on Twitter. Or if you have a scoop or interesting thoughts about sports, message me there. Bookmark Sorry Bro Sports.
Posted by Travis Houser at 9:45 AM